Thursday 12 January 2012

The Eventscape Project: My Favourite Model

Hello everybody,

   Back in November we did a project with Lakeshore Arts and a company called Eventscape where we had to design a sculpture that would go near the front of the school. For the first couple of days we brainstormed where the sculpture would go, what message we wanted to convey with it, things like that. Then we took a field trip to Eventscape's metal building <where they make all their metal sculptures. By far that was the best part of the entire project, in my opinion. After that, we kept brainstorming and building rough model after rough model until we had a final design.


   My favourite design was a bench I made with some friends when we were doing a group building session (We all were just making whatever we though would look cool and my design happened to turn out well). It is a curvy bench and the back of it rises up and down like a wave. The wave design was something I thought looked neat and the fact that our community is next to a lake worked perfectly. The thing I was going for most was comfort. I hate it when I sit on a bench that looks awesome and find out it is uncomfortable. I was building it definitely with regular bench-sitters in mind. The bench was made with pipe cleaners, tape, cardboard and foam core. I like this model the most since it is something that I would definitely want to sit on if it was actually built. I like the interesting design, and the fact that it has a back so you could lean back on it if you wanted to(most of the bench models built did not have something you could lean back on). If I was to improve this model, I think some of the things I would do would be to make the poles on the back of the bench flatter and thicker. That way, it would be more comfortable for people to lean against <I have had bad experiences with round, uncomfortable backs on benches>.

No comments:

Post a Comment